i made this on monday when i realised that i had chicken stock, lettuce and pesto to use up in the fridge... and i'm so happy i did. this would work with pretty much any seasonal greens you've got lying around, and you could substitute the pesto for a handful of fresh herbs instead.
♥ for lunch today i had a serving of pea and pesto soup with cucumber, tomato and houmous
♥ perfect with fresh basil leaves on the top... and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
pea and pesto soup
1/2 tsp coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 gem lettuce, sliced
750ml chicken stock
2 cups/250g frozen peas
1/2 tsp lime juice
2 Tbsp pesto
salt and pepper
1. sauté the onion, garlic and celery in the coconut oil for about 5-10 minutes.
2. add the bell pepper, lettuce, chicken stock and peas.
3. bring back to the boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
4. add the lime juice and pesto and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
5. season to taste, and serve warm.
- this will freeze beautifully, and keeps well in the fridge for 3 days.
- amazing topped with diced black olives, pine nuts or fresh parmesan
i've got some tasty lunchboxes to share with you all... so keep you're eyes open for the next lunchbox week post. and in the meantime, check out my latest YT video about my favourite storecupboard items...
thanks for reading and watching!
i would love to know, what's your favourite summer soup recipe?
currently listening to: miracle by matisyahu - a cute summery tune.