Wednesday, 22 February 2012

sweet red bean porridge and turquoise wrist warmers

good morning wonderful people. i hope you are all well! thanks for all your congratulations for my new job :) i'm so excited to start, and to tell you all about it.

i've been getting really geeky and working out that i want to get a new backpack and a new lunchbox... it's like being a kid again, and going back to school. perhaps i will invest in a new pen an pencil case too?! anyways, i've decided on a bag - a classic fjallraven kanken in ox red - but i'm a little stuck for a lunchbox. i was looking at a lunchbots or an easylunchbox - any thoughts or suggestions?

anyways, onto foodie things:

♥ i finally perfected my sweet red bean paste recipe! it is of course sugar free, and uses cheap dried adzuki beans. the red bean paste pancakes were delicious back last autumn, and i learnt quickly that the paste is also pretty good on toast, or with a dash of almond milk for breakfast, or even as a cold snack from the fridge.


it also tastes absolutely delicious in and on porridge...


sweet red bean paste 

1 1/2 cups cooked adzuki beans (or other red beans)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup cooking broth or water
a generous pinch of salt

1. place all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor, and mix until smooth.
2. store in the fridge in a sealed container.
3. enjoy in porridge, pancakes, on toast, or with a dash of almond milk and fresh berries.

cook's notes: to use dried beans, soak 1/2 cup of dried adzuki beans overnight in fresh water. rinse in the morning, and cook in unsalted water for 40 minutes, or until tender.

let me know how it goes - and enjoy this incredibly thrifty recipe!

lunch recently has been an egg and vegetable hash of some variety. mushroom is a particular favourite, with a little cheese, dill, fried egg and half a soda bagel. a cup of rooibos tea is also a very important accompaniment to this meal...


i love a good runny yolk... mmm hmm.


mum has been knitting loads - and these cute turqouise wrist warmers were her latest invention. she's learnt to cable knit... and though i keep asking her, she absolutely will not knit be a cable cardigan. i love having a creative mum!


sweet potato hash - spectacular and very quick. grated sweet potato, chopped celery, spinach and diced fresh tomato, along with a little seasoning and a side of beans and cucumber. a very satisfying dinner indeed.


i'm so loving the veggies at the moment - and attempting to convince everyone i know to eat more and more of them! they are so good for you after all :) thanks to jenn at peas and crayons for another wonderful wiaw...


currently watching: call the midwife - i'm a big fan of 50s style and drama, and the bbc have produced an excellent show once again. i love the amount of times they eat tea and toast :)

15 comments:

  1. That dinner looks great. I haven't had sweet potato hash, but I think it's something the hubs n' I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a runny egg yolk!! And I love those turquoise wrist warmers! They are so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those wrist warmers, but they'd be such overkill in this part of Texas. Still, I envy them every time I see someone wearing them.

    I'm on a fried egg kick too. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sound of that bean dip, very thrifty I even have some dried beans in the cupboard, might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good runny egg, too! Wow, your mom is really good at knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love a good runny egg too! And the arm warmers are fab! Wish my mum was that handy with a pair of knitting needles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of your veggie hashes - both variations look really good!

    I also LOVE those wrist warmers - maybe your mom needs to start a little side business :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love adzuki beans, especially in red bean paste buns. So delicious! I use to make my own red bean paste all the time, but haven't done so in a while. You are inspiring me to go whip up a batch - the applesauce sounds like a great addition. It's great with a touch of cinnamon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red bean paste. I'm not sure what else to put it on/in - ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really adorable blog :) Runny eggs are the best!

    http://www.hungrydelights.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colour of your sweet red bean paste! It sounds delicious too! I wonder if it's like the sweet bean paste that you get in the middle of Chinese steamed dumplings? I used to eat those all the time when I lived in Nottingham. I must give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your food looks delicious! That red bean paste sounds delicious, I bet it would be lovely with a pita to dip in it :-)

    Those wrist warmers are lovely, your mum is a very talented knitter! I want to learn this winter.

    I love your veg hashes, they look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - have a wonderful day ♥

If you'd like to ask a question anonymously, please check out my Formspring account, or send me an email.