Monday, 7 November 2011

pan fried chickpeas with tuscan kale and buckwheat toad in the hole

with all the money saving adventures i've been on recently, we've been experimenting with all sorts of new recipes - some that turn out amazing, and some that kinda flop (literally)...

firstly, spicy pan-fried chickpeas with tuscan kale, along with roasted homegrown carrots (oh my goodness, they have such an amazing flavour!) and steamed broccoli. easy and delicious. i have come across this method of cooking tinned chickpeas on a few blogs, and so i improvised with the spices a little - smoked paprika, cumin and coriander, with onion and garlic softened in the pan in advance.

fish stew a la jamie oliver - his aegean kakavia is so beautiful with any cheap white fish, and using sweet potato instead of regular! very tasty, fresh and yet gorgeous on a cold, wet, windy day.


mostly eating's butternut squash and red lentil dahl is a beautiful thing to make loads of, and eat throughout the week as hot lunch, served with quick barley chapattis and some fresh cucumber tomato salad.


buckwheat toad in the hole was a little experiment, created after a few weeks pondering on the possibility. needless to say it needs a little work, but the taste was really good! i'm thinking a little baking powder might give it the lift it needs, otherwise, there's a coconut popover recipe i might try out... the red cabbage and carrot swede mash were lovely with it though :)


toad in the hole is a peculiar English meal, but one that tastes phenomenal and is a great favorite in our house. i love to add wholegrain mustard into the batter to give it a bit of an extra kick! if you want a standard recipe, check out this classic one on the River Cottage community pages.

have you ever made toad-in-the-hole? what's your favorite traditional recipe?
currently reading: the last few pages of about 5 books, because this evening is the first evening of the new book club in my area i've helped start! and i want to have a clean slate so i can get cracking on the first book in the list - i've always wanted to be part of a book club, and it's taken a while for me to realise that i would need to start one in order to make it happen. i have a list of my top 5 favorite books to bring to discuss at the first meeting, and i'm so excited :)

11 comments:

  1. let us know when you get the toad in the hole right - we had it loads as kids and miss it since going gluten free

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alissa, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog - I've been reading your posts for a couple of weeks now and the food always looks amazing! I love the look of the pan-fried chickpeas with tuscan kale - great use of the season's flavours :)

    Molly x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your book club sounds so good! I've never made toad in the hole but my Nana used to make it, she made the best yorkshire puddings - she'd get me to whip the batter out in the yard to 'get some air into it' - you have me craving swede and carrot mash now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, toad in the hole - can't remember the last time I had that but it must have been far too long ago! And hooray for carrot and swede mash; love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite being English through and through I can honestly say that I've never had toad in the hole before. I love Yorkshire puddings though, so I imagine that it would be something I would like.
    My favourite traditional recipe would have to be something desserty - fruit crumble maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are trying out all these new recipes, how fun! Also, I really want to know your favorite books... I'm a bit of a crazy reader and am always looking for suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy mouth is watering reading this post! x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally get the budgeting for holidays idea, I'm on that band wagon with you right now. Your recipes look super yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some buckwheat flour - might give that toad in the hole a try.

    I absolutely love that plate in the top photo - the blue and white one - wish I could reach into the computer and steal it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love Toad in the Hole and ate it loads whilst at uni! Since we've stopped eating eggs at home, I haven't made it. I'm sure someone must have created a vegan version. I'll have to Google it and see what comes up :)

    I love reading too! I especially love reading books that inspire me in some way. In December, I'm hoping to set up a virtual book club, where we write a short monthly post about a book that has inspired us (could be any type of book, not just food-related). If you're interested in joining in, just give me a shout! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - have a wonderful day ♥

If you'd like to ask a question anonymously, please check out my Formspring account, or send me an email.