Monday, 21 November 2011

dessicated coconut pancakes

hey everyone! i hope you are all excited about this week and the opportunities it might bring. i never fail to feel enthusiastic about who i might meet, what i might do and things i might learn - every day is a gift, and so very precious to us.

today, i want to share with you a delicious recipe from my new breakfast cookbook, Healthy Breakfast Recipes - these coconut pancakes are made with dessicated coconut, and are very easy, cheap and quick to make and enjoy in the morning.

here's a quick video showing you exactly how to make them -  full recipe and photos below:


coconut pancakes recipe
serves 2

1/2 cup (50g) ground dessicated coconut
1 egg
1 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp milk
a pinch of salt

1. mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a fork.
2. leave to rest for 30 minutes, or keep overnight in the fridge.
3. heat a frying pan to a medium temperature, and add in a little coconut oil or butter (if it's nonstick, skip this)
4. once hot, add in spoonfuls of the mixture and wait about 2 minutes before flipping over, cook until golden both sides.
5. serve hot, with a little homemade jam and a dash of coconut cream or applesauce.

cooks notes: if the mixture seems a little too thick, add in a little more milk to bring it too the consistency of whipped mashed potatoes. this depends on the size of your egg and the type of dessicated coconut you use.

♥ i ate all of mine pretty quickly...




what's your favorite pancake recipe? do you use dessicated coconut in your cooking?

currently loving: painting a fleur de lis pattern on this year's Christmas teatowels - it's a very pretty design i think :)

15 comments:

  1. These pancakes look delicious! Too bad I can't take too much coconut - for some reason, I end up with a sore throat after consuming coconut meat (not coconut water though - lucky!). I think it's too "heaty" for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once made these pancakes that had carrots, apples, and bran in them (kind of like a morning glory muffin) and I LOVED them. They were so thick and wonderful. Your coconut pancakes sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tip! I had a look at your acne tips and YT and like some of the ideas x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your positive attitude to the beginning of the week. I always try to be positive first thing on a Monday too :-)
    I don't make pancakes often, but I think that I should try out more recipes.
    I never like coconut until recently and I'm still not a big fan of dessicated coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm. These sound so good! I love coconut everything and have been wondering what dessicated coconut would be like in pancakes...you make it sound wonderful!

    I love your blog, btw - the photos are so beautiful! I was just scrolling though your top page and noticed your post about Russian food!!! I recently lived out in Russia and loved their food! It's a massive part of their culture and social life which I love too! Awww kasha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pancakes look amazing. I've never tried coconut pancakes before. I will be a nice change. I usually eat blueberry flavour. But i love all easy pancakes. Anything that is simple to make is okay by me. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Have a nice day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great. I made something similar-ish, mashing sweet potato with the coconut but not leaving it overnight... but the pancakes I made with mashed raspberries and ground almonds were definitely my favourite! Love the congee in your last post too; the texture looks so good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so I admit i had to look up what dessicated coconut was. :) I'm a bit coconut fan, so these look especially tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, these pancakes look delicious! They are going on my list of recipes to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound wonderful! I love the idea of applesauce to top them. I typically just microwave some fruit so it gets syrup-y (so lazy!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG YUM! Cannot wait to try these, they look scrummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have good taste in salt! Maldon is the best, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    I found your blog yesterday via thelovevitamin.com and decided to try this recipe for breakfast. It was delicious! I made some caramelised apple slices to go with these lovely coconut pancakes :) even my picky bf was pleased.
    Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look / sound divine (and love the rather few ingredients... always good) - alas, I am the only member of my household who likes coconut. I know, this should have been a pre-requisite of the marriage. As for the child, obviously not my genes in play there...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Alissa,
    I recently discovered your blog through simply breakfast, and love it already! Tried to make the yummi muffins and then discovered those pancakes, and they have been my breakfast staple the last weeks. Thanks for the great recipe! You have such a nice style of cooking & eating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - have a wonderful day ♥

If you'd like to ask a question anonymously, please check out my Formspring account, or send me an email.