Monday, 1 August 2011

guest post: laura's raw food lunchbox

Thanks to the lovely Laura for sharing her raw food lunchbox with us! I'll be posting on her blog today, so go over there to check out my version of a raw food lunchbox. The recipes that she's created for this post are fantastic, and I'm so looking forward to trying them...

Hello, I'm Laura from Keeping Healthy Getting Stylish and today I'm exchanging guest posts with the lovely Alissa on the theme of the Healthy Lunch Box!

As both myself and Alissa have been enjoying experimenting with raw foods we thought we would both create a raw lunch box! I love Alissa's blog for her wonderful recipes and beautiful food photography. She also introduced me to adding greens other than spinach to my green smoothies!

Like Alissa, I enjoy adding raw foods into my diet when I crave them. At the moment I love nothing more than a huge salad filled with greens and veggies topped with some beans, tofu or even crumbled raw crackers along with a tasty dressing.

For the lunch box I'm sharing today I thought I'd get a little more experimental!



My lunch box includes: rocket with courgette spaghetti and basil, pine nut and hemp pesto, RAW Health Intensely Italian raw crackers, sugar snap peas, a kiwi and nectarine fruit salad, lemon cashew chia seed pudding in a jar and a royal gala apple:

Here are the recipes for you!


Rocket with courgette spaghetti and basil, hemp, pine nut pesto (serves 1, raw, vegan)



· A bag of rocket leaves
· 2 small courgettes made into 'spaghetti' using a spiraliser (or you could use a veggie peeler to make ribbons instead)

For the pesto (makes about half a cup):

· 2 tbsp pine nuts
· 2 tbsp of hemp oil (or you could use extra virgin olive oil)
· 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
· 1 cup of fresh basil
· 1 clove of garlic
· 1 tbsp of sweet white miso
· water to thin

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend. This was my first time experimenting with making my own pesto and it tastes amazing! Toss the courgette spaghetti with the pesto and serve on top of the rocket.



This is such a delicious and easy to make pesto, I’ll never buy it from the supermarket again!

Lemon Cashew Chia Seed Pudding (serves 1, raw, vegan)

· 2.5 tbsp of chia seeds
· 1/2 cup of rice milk (or milk of choice)
· Juice from half a lemon
· 1 tsp of lemon zest
· 1 tsp of agave syrup
· 1 tbsp of cashew butter

Combine all ingredients together in a small jar (a near empty cashew butter jar as I used would be perfect!) and leave in the fridge for a few hours to allow the chia to gel. Enjoy!



This is a wonderful tangy, sweet pudding choc full of healthy fats which should keep you full all afternoon!

Here are a few other ideas for raw or semi raw lunches:

· Fresh Asian Salad
· Ginger Cashew Nori Rolls
· Raw wraps - I love using spring green leaves and spreading them with sunflower seed butter, apple, carrot and basil!
· Raw rice salad (just finely chop some cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice then added other chopped veggies and herbs)
· Simple green salads with assorted veggies and crumbled raw crackers (one of my current fave lunches!) made even better with a raw dressing like this delicious Green Goddess Dressing
· A blended raw soup
· Cucumber 'boats' filled with a nut pate
· Stuffed peppers filled with a nut pate
· Raw hummus with raw crackers and veggie sticks for dipping
· Raw chocolate brownie bites

Some great blogs to check out for raw food ideas include Choosing Raw and Kristen's Raw.

Have you ever experimented with raw foods? What would be in your perfect lunch box, raw or not?

7 comments:

  1. Lov ethe sound of your pesto Laura, especially with the added boost from the hemp oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever bought raw food and I love it but I recently was given a raw cook book to review and can't wait to get started! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, can you tell me where I can get chai seeds from.
    Thanks very much x

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I love the look of everything in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice idea..thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - have a wonderful day ♥

If you'd like to ask a question anonymously, please check out my Formspring account, or send me an email.