well, if you haven't, then this is what a choko looks like:
it's quite a bland flavour really, and a cross between a courgette, pear and a watermelon. an odd combination, that leaves me quite confused as to quite how to eat and enjoy this vegetable. most people around here don't seem to have eaten them much, apart from as a bulking ingredient in stews or jams. but, i was determined to do something different with them.
and so, without further ado, i present to you:
♥ thai choko fries
i served the choko fries with a chicken, cabbage and celery stir fry with a little more thai paste and some tomatoes. a very tasty dish!
thai choko fries recipe
1 tsp thai curry paste
1-2 Tbsp water/stock
a little butter or coconut oil
salt + pepper
1. simply peel and deseed the choko, then cut into fries.
2. heat up a frying pan with a little butter or coconut oil
3. add the choko and fry for 3-5 minutes.
4. pour in the water or stock and curry paste and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
5. place on a baking tray and put in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes, until brown and crispy along the edges.
have you ever eaten choko before? and if so, how did you eat them?
currently reading: the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society by mary ann shaffer - it's so good i've already read half of it!