Saturday, 29 January 2011

homemade crumpets and scrambled eggs

thanks for all your good wishes about my recent news, i am also really excited (as you might imagine) and trying to get some serious planning underway...

i've had a funny month, with painful shoulder tendinitis, the puppy undergoing an emergency operation (it's still touch and go), and waiting for my sister in law to give birth - she's now 10 days overdue...and feeling quite uncomfortable. so we've all been sat on edge a bit this January, hence the lack of posts. 

there's also been a bit of a change in my eating plan. basically, i'm trying to eat fewer carbs and more protein. i  am also reversing the normal eating order, and having the biggest meal for breakfast, and smallest at dinner. and i'm resisting all things sugary (apart from the very occasional temptation which i allow myself for happiness reasons). i am eating more raw foods, and less cooked. more rice, less wheat. no heated fats, except coconut oil. and i have re-introduced dairy, and cut down on soy (a weird decision, which may not sound like the healthiest, but i will hopefully re-introduce almond milk at some point soon - more on that in a later post).

this was all part of a big sort of revelation i had to do with managing my diabetes, which arrived whilst looking at the tudiabetes forums about food. i was eating too much, basically. and i wasn't exercising enough either. it just means that i wasn't taking adequate care of myself, certainly not as good as i really ought to if i am to expect good health in my later years - which i hope will be the case. so after my eureka moment of, if i don't change something now, when will i? i changed my plans, i have edited my eating and exercising, and am on a good course. stay tuned.

now onto my latest eats. well, actually some of these shots date all the way back to december, so backdated are my posts! but the food is still as good, and i can definitely remember the tastes:

homemade crumpets. this was the final recipe i created on my 2010 recipe list, and i'm very happy to report a good result. not great however, but a few more attempts, and some fresh yeast, and i'm sure i will report absolutely stellar crumpets. wholemeal ones are more dense by nature anyway, and they tasted just wonderful with butter. i followed a more wholemeal version of this recipe by the hairy bakers, but you can check out this  one and this one too for more ideas


pilchard flan with a wholewheat crust and spinach. my mum makes the best pilchard flan (sounds gross, but tastes amazing, i promise!) ever, and i'm so grateful for her making one...


 knäckebröd with scrambled eggs and feta and sauteed greens, onions and tomatoes. a simple dinner made from the last contents of my fridge.


more scrambled eggs with cucumber and tomato salad and fried mustard peppers. maybe my best new discovery. simply fry the peppers in a little butter and olive oil (or coconut oil) then add a little honey and wholegrain mustard. fry for a few minutes and voila!


mum also makes an amazing homemade pizza. she had to cook for me a lot when my tendinitis was at it's worse. i am a terrible patient, i just wanted to keep cooking even though it really hurt. and she literally had to keep sitting me down in front of episodes of Smallville until i shut up and stopped fiddling with ingredients. anyway, it was lovely of her to make so many of the dishes we used to have all the time as kids - and her pizza sauce is divine. there's nothing quite like it.


i also tried my hand at crêpes recently. which were really good fun. though not at all healthy. especially when slathered in my beloved brandy butter. (that's why i had a green smoothie. guilt.) but, i wanted to prove that i could make them - and i did, and i am glad!


thanks everyone for checking up on my blog, i am so happy to know that it is read. and i hope it continues to inspire you and give you some ideas for cooking healthier food that is bursting with flavour. if you have anything in particular you would like to see or ask, don't hesitate.

currently listening to: stuck like glue by sugarland

ps. would you like to see the photo size a little larger? i've thought about it, and thought it best to ask you all...
pps. check out the beautiful Polish blog Every Cake You Bake, she made my amaranth cookie recipe...

5 comments:

  1. Tasty looking eats! Glad your a fellow Smallville fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks insanely good! Homemade CRUMPETS! Wow they look so so yummy, oh and a belated YAY for your aussie news x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, those CRUMPETS! They look phenomenal :) I'd love to see the recipe you use once you've got it perfected.
    Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love knackebrod! ;-)Gorgeous breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homemade crumpets are on my list of things to try one of these days. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a lovely comment - have a wonderful day ♥

If you'd like to ask a question anonymously, please check out my Formspring account, or send me an email.